Top Tips on Love and Relationships from Rudy Simone
Rudy Simone is an Aspergirl, writer and AS consultant who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area in the USA.
She is the author of 22 Things a Woman with Asperger’s Syndrome Wants Her Partner to Know, 22 Things a Woman Must Know If She Loves a Man with Asperger’s Syndrome and Aspergirls.
Top Tips for AS partners:
1. Don’t forget to show appreciation. We expect perfection, so often forget to compliment the good things about our partner.
2. Don’t respond to every invitation with “I wouldn’t like it”. Instead, get some information about the event or people and make an educated decision.
3. Have an understanding with your partner – when you need to leave, you NEED to leave.
4. Have a sensory tool kit wherever you go, whether it contains music, earplugs, squidgy (stress ball), hat, glasses, etc. You can protect yourself to some degree from sensory onslaught and this will increase the time you can stay out.
Top Tips for non-spectrum partners:
5. After a social event, even a date night out with just the two of you, have some quiet time in the car – don’t just blast the stereo thinking he or she is still in dancing mode. Transitions are difficult. Thank them for coming out of their comfort zone and remember: we need one hour of down time for every hour of socializing.
More Top Tips on Love and Relationships from JKP authors »
Copyright © Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2012.
Hi these books look good, ive read aspergergirls and made me realise that i have undiagnoses aspergers im a women. its great reading material