Rudy Simone is an Aspergirl, writer and AS consultant who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area in the USA.
Top Tips for AS partners:
1. Don’t forget to show appreciation. We expect perfection, so often forget to compliment the good things about our partner.
2. Don’t respond to every invitation with “I wouldn’t like it”. Instead, get some information about the event or people and make an educated decision.
3. Have an understanding with your partner – when you need to leave, you NEED to leave.
4. Have a sensory tool kit wherever you go, whether it contains music, earplugs, squidgy (stress ball), hat, glasses, etc. You can protect yourself to some degree from sensory onslaught and this will increase the time you can stay out.
Top Tips for non-spectrum partners:
5. After a social event, even a date night out with just the two of you, have some quiet time in the car – don’t just blast the stereo thinking he or she is still in dancing mode. Transitions are difficult. Thank them for coming out of their comfort zone and remember: we need one hour of down time for every hour of socializing.
Copyright © Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2012.