Teach Me with Pictures is a new visual learning programme for children aged 3 to 10 years old. The 40 picture scripts help children with autism spectrum disorders gain key communication and play skills.
- Pictures appeal to the visual strengths of children with autism.
- Breaking down activities into small steps makes them achievable.
- Picture scripts show the child exactly what to do. This gives confidence to children with autism by making the activities more predictable.
- The language in the scripts is simple and consistent. Whoever carries out the activity with the child says the same words, making it easier for the child.
- Picture scripts act as a memory aid, increasing independence.
The picture scripts cover a range of topics including drawing, cooking and pretend play. Tasks are illustrated in manageable step-by-step sequences and support the development of the child’s independence as well as other skills including following instructions and making choices.
The resource is designed to be accessible to all and can be used by teachers, professionals or parents. The scripts can be photocopied from the book or printed from the CD-ROM (in colour or black and white)