Top Tips on Love and Relationships from Sarah Hendrickx
Sarah Hendrickx is a specialist Asperger syndrome trainer, consultant and coach, providing individual, couple and family support on all aspects of life, including anxiety management, dating, relationships and work.
She is the author of Love, Sex and Long-Term Relationships and Asperger Syndrome – A Love Story. Sarah’s partner Keith has Asperger syndrome.
Top Tips for both partners:
1. Learn as much as you can about how your partner thinks, feels and sees the world.
2. Accept their view of the world – even if it makes no sense to you. It is as real to them as your world is to you.
3. Remember why you fell in love with your partner. Maybe they are too stressed out to be that person anymore. Do more to help them to allow that side you like to show.
4. Embrace and celebrate your own and your partner’s quirks and funny ways. Laugh at yourself and each other and don’t take yourself too seriously.
5. Although you may be adverse to the idea of declaring your love on a day designated by someone else or on what you consider to be a commercially driven occasion, your partner may appreciate you doing so. Buy a card. Buy some flowers. Give your partner a hug. Tell them you love them. Ask about their day.
6. Keith has worked out that if he buys me flowers, send me text messages and phones me during the day, that I feel very cared for and moan at him a lot less than when I feel uncared for. He considers the cost incurred to be a fair price to pay for what he receives in return. Smart man!
More Top Tips on Love and Relationships from JKP authors »
Copyright © Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2012.